January usually brings panic in the health and fitness industry. People have over consumed beyond all measures and then press the panic button and smash the gym most days of the week in the attempt to shred a few pounds after the festive period. If you find yourself well and truly off the wagon digest these helpful steps:
1. Drink lemon water when you 1st wake. The polyphenols help stimulate your liver to burn more body fat. The vitamin C available in half a squeezed lemon also helps to burn about 15% more body fat. The water hydrates you and naturally helps your cells oxidise fat more efficiently.
2. Reduce your carbohydrate intake for your breakfast. Aim to eat 20-25 grams of protein for your 1st meal of the day. Your body is still in a fat burning state after your long sleep. Avoid those fast releasing sugars that hit your blood stream like a tidal wave. The protein will keep you fuller for longer. Broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cabbage, kale and spinach are all great sources of very slow releasing carbs.
3. Create a negative energy balance. Whether you eat less, move more, or both, the choice is yours. Find something you actually enjoy doing. Cycling is my gig and I can churn away at 800 calories in one session lasting 1:15hr. If you are a morning person maybe a 30 minute HIIT class is your thing where you can burn 400 calories with the added benefit of the after burn effect. Commit to something.
4. Get a good night’s sleep every single night. Vamp up your fat burning hormones with a good deep sleep. Human growth hormone and testosterone are potent fat burners so use them! Research tells us we crave less food and drink when properly rested. Cut down on caffeine, dim the lights and black out your windows with some good curtains.
5. Emotionally connect yourself. Why is this important to you? In the past I’ve raised money for charity to help focus my efforts for triathlons back in the day just so I wouldn’t slack off. Emotions always bring about behaviours. Find yours.